Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Trying Lots of Beauty Samples - Repurchase or No?

As someone who purchases a lot of beauty and skincare products, I do get loads of samples - which are convenient for travel and also fun to try.  However, most samples are simply tried and tossed.  To be honest, it's difficult to be blown away by a little sample (especially for skincare which usually will take more time to determine its efficacy), but then there are the rare standouts who manage to make you take notice.  I thought it would be fun and hopefully helpful to go through some of the samples I've tried recently and provide mini-reviews.  There are a handful of winners here that I totally plan to purchase.


Eye Creams

Giorgio Armani Crema Nera Extrema Youth Memory Eye Serum.  I guess I'll start with a bang here, because I don't know what is in this magical elixir but I definitely want more.  I can't use heavy eye creams because I'm prone to milia (little bumps around the orbital area) so I tend to use light creams or serums.  Currently I am using a 3 Lab eye treatment I really like but when I tried the GA sample, I felt immediate love.  It sank right into the skin and my undereye area felt soothed, plump and moisturized.  I am definitely getting this after I finish with my 3 Lab product.

Clinique pep-start eye cream - This was OK but  I really didn't see any effect.  I think it's intended to be a brightening eye cream for daytime use.  I believe the Origins one is better for brightening.

 Verso Reviving Eye Mask - I think I got this in my Barneys beauty bag... literally didn't see or feel any difference.  I assumed there would be some tightening or lifting or something in view of the name.  I actually felt it dehydrated my undereye area which is weird.  I'll stick with my SKII eye masks, thank you.


Makeup Bits

Burberry Fresh Glow in No. 1.  Another winner!  I loved this so much I already went out and bought the full-size.  It just gives the skin a nice sheen and glow under makeup.

Make Up For Ever Ultra HD concealer.  I've never had much luck with MUFE skin makeup and this is no exception.  It made my undereye area look crepe-y and cake-y, which is very odd since my undereye area is actually quite smooth normally.  No point in putting on makeup to look worse.

Givenchy Phenomen 'Eyes Mascara.  The formula is probably ok, not mindblowing, but I really don't like the little ball applicator.  It doesn't work on my little asian eyes.

Kat Von D liquid lipstick in Lolita II.  Nice formula which stays on the lips for a long time without being terribly drying.  I think this color leans too orange for me and doesn't match my complexion.  I would definitely try another color though.

Sisley Gentle Make-up Remover.  This was a terrible disappointment.  Sisley is a luxury brand and super expensive so you'd expect all their products to be good.  However, this one was objectively horrible.  It stung my eyes and couldn't remove my eye makeup.  So it is neither gentle nor does it remove makeup.  So what's the point of its existence?


Body Care & Perfumes

Juara Candlenut Hydrating Shower Gel.  I believe this was in my Space NK beauty bag and I really really enjoyed it.  The scent was warm and comforting without being sickly sweet and it did leave my skin feeling very soft.  I would consider buying this depending on the price point, but right now I'm happy with my reasonably priced Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy shower gel.

Not Soap Radio Anti-Mania/Stress Relief Bath Shower Gel in Lavender + Clementine.  This was one of a set that I received in a Popsugar box and it was incredibly disappointing.  I felt like I was just using soapy water.  The scent was nominal at best; there was no really hydration to the skin ... so really I could have just been using a random bar of soap.  

Byredo Mojave Ghost Eau de Parfum.  This was a surprise.  Everyone went on and on about how much they loved this perfume and how long it lasted.  I didn't want to invest in a $250 bottle without testing it out so I was glad this deluxe sample was in my Barneys beauty bag.  The first time I tried it I wasn't wowed by the scent and it faded pretty quickly.  I tried again and again, but each time it was the same.  Perhaps my body chemistry just doesn't vibe with this scent.  Thank god I didn't buy the large bottle.  I'll stick with my Serge Lutens for the moment.


Replica Eau de Toilette in Beach Walk.  I haven't had much success with this company's fragrances.  Again all the reviews rave about how amazing their scents are.  But when I put it on my skin, I'm just sort of 'meh'.

Raw Spirit - Desert Blush.  I've never heard of this perfume and it was a nice surprise.  Lasted well and had a unique deep pleasant and musky scent.  Not sure if I would repurchase but I would consider it.


Skincare

Rodial bee venom cleansing balm.   I'm a huge fan of cleansing balms and I really enjoyed this one - but more for the scent of honey than anything else.  I'm not sure this beats my current favorites - Emma Hardie and Clinique - so I probably won't purchase this.

Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30.  This was fine and didn't break me out (which is always a concern when trying out new SPF on my face).  But I'm currently loving my sunblocks from Allied (Japanese brand) and Clinique so I'm not in the market for something new.  

philosophy renewed hope in a jar (day and night) moisturizer.  This was great for travel but I'm not sure I would purchase the full-size.  It's a good moisturizer but didn't do anything special for my skin.

SkinInc. Pure DeepSea Hydrating Mask.  I can't be certain but I felt like this mask actually broke me out and irritated my skin a little.  I could be wrong ... but I doubt it.

Dr Dennis Gross ferulic + retinol wrinkle recovery peel.  I had two samples and I've only used one so far.  I can't really tell if it did anything but I do like the delivery system.  It's a pre-soaked pad that you massage your face with after cleansing.  I'll have to try the 2nd sample and see if I notice any difference.  If I do, I may consider purchasing... but I am loving my Sunday Riley Luna Oil so I'm not sure I would also need this in addition to that...

Radical Advanced Peptide Antioxydant Serum.  I've tried a few Radical samples before and they are always good, but not mind-blowing.  This one was no exception - it was a comforting serum to use while traveling but I didn't see any specific results.  If I were going to spend that much money on a product, I really should feel a bit blown away - don't you agree?

Darphin Stimulskin Plus Serum.  I think this would be better for more mature, saggy skin.  Fortunately I don't think I need 'reshaping' and 'firming' products yet, so I used this on my decolletage.  I didn't really notice a major difference but maybe it's preventative?



Anyways, hope you enjoyed the mini-reviews of the samples I've tried.  Have you tried any samples recently that amazed you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment