Sunday, March 20, 2016

skincare and beauty empties (march 2016)

I really enjoy watching empties videos on youtube and learning about products that other people have used up.  To be honest, I'm often astonished about how much product the beauty youtubers go through, but since it is their job to review product, I suppose it isn't that astonishing.  




As an experiment I attempted to keep my empties for the last 8 months to see what I go through.  In viewing the results, it is obvious skincare is my obsession... but then I remembered that if I feel a makeup or skincare item isn't working for me, I usually give it away to my friends instead of letting it expire or wasting it.  Therefore this is a list of items I used up AND remembered to keep - with mini reviews.   I hope it's helpful!

I tried to group them in categories, so here goes:



Cleansers
  • Bioderma Micellar Water - This is a holy grail staple in my cleansing routine so I will keep buying this.  I use this for a first cleanse in the evening to remove my makeup.  Very gentle and doesn't burn my eyes.  I stock up when I am in Paris or in Little Tokyo (in Los Angeles) or purchase on amazon.com.
  • Simple Cleansing Micellar Water - I tested this to see if it was as good as the Bioderma.  It did cleanse but stung my eyes so I will not be repurchasing.
  • Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm - A very reliable cleansing balm - easy, simple and effective.  I've repurchased several times and my skin is always very clear and calm with this product.  I use this for a second cleanse in the evenings.
  • Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover - Another reliable product I've purchased many times to remove stubborn eye makeup (i.e., mascara) that isn't easily removed by micellar water.
  • First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser - A very gentle, simple cleanser  I used in the mornings.  Also quite affordable.  I liked it but nothing about it was particularly special.
  •  SKII Facial Treatment Cleanser- I used up a small sample during my trips and I really liked it, but probably not enough to buy a full size because it's expensive and was basically just a gentle cleanser.
  • Glamglow Powermud Dual Cleanse Treatment (green) - I tried out this sample and while I felt it cleansed well, it didn't really appeal to me.  I'm not sure why - perhaps it's a textural thing.
 Face Exfoliators
  • First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads  - I believe in exfoliating at least once a week just to clear away dead skin cells and other skin clogging materials.  I liked this but I think the Cane & Austin ones are more effective.  But this is a nice, gentle introduction if you are not used to exfoliating your face.
  • 3Lab Perfect Cleansing Scrub - I love 3Lab as a brand but this product did not work for me.  I suspected that it actually made me break out which is very weird.  I couldn't finish this but also decided I couldn't give this away so here it is in my "empties".
  • Goldfaden MD Doctor's Scrub Advanced - They aren't kidding when they say "advanced".  This is incredibly strong.  I will say it's effective but it almost felt too harsh to me and I was concerned I was scratching up my face.
Face Treatments
  • Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair - This is a holy grail product for me; I think I've repurchased 4 times.  It's a bit old school but it works for me - moisturizing, effective, calming and plumping.  I especially like layering it with my Sunday Riley Luna Oil.
  • GlamGlow Brightmud Eye Treatment - I used this sample twice (one pod for both eyes) and it does work.  I did feel that my undereye area looked brighter and plumper after each use.  I would consider buying the full size.

Face Moisturizers

  • 3Lab WW Cream - This is a wonderfully effective nightcream that brightened and plumped up my skin.  But it's super expensive so I'm looking for an alternative.  Perhaps when I actually get wrinkly I'll reconsider the cost-benefit analysis.
  • fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Lotion with SPF20 - I really enjoyed this day cream and liked that fact that it had SPF (even though I still use a separate SPF anyways).  I think this was my 2nd bottle and I was perfectly satisfied with this but wanted to experiment with some lotions without SPF since I was already layering anyways.  I would consider repurchasing but the next day cream on rotation is a 3Lab one so it will be a while.
  • Royal Apothic Team Balm Firming Eye Treatment- I believe I got this in a PopSugar Musthave Box and I enjoyed it - until the little glass jar smashed due to my clumsiness so I had to throw it away.  Very moisturizing and smoothing.
  • Estee Lauder DayWear Advanced Multi-Protection Anti-Oxidant Creme with SPF15 - I've used samples of this before and, for me, the best thing about it is the cucumber smell.  I don't feel that it does anything special for my skin which is why I've never purchased a full size.
  • Clinique Moisture Surge Creme - I've also used several samples of this when I travel to combat the dehydration on planes.  Very effective but I haven't purchased a full size because I get similar, if not better, results from my Laneige Sleeping Mask.
Face Makeup
  • itCosmetics CC+ Cream with SPF50 - I always have a tube of this because it's my reliable standby for everyday makeup.  It has good coverage, feels comfortable on the skin, gives a glowy healthy look and has SPF 50!  I love it!  If you don't like heavy makeup, give this a try.
  • LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer - I liked this better than the Urban Decay Potion Primer, which I felt caused my eyelids to develop little weird bumps.  This one worked really well at creating a smooth canvas for eyeshadow - until the end when I think the product was getting a bit clumpy.  I don't really have oily eyelids or have longevity issues for eyemakeup but I did like the even base this primer gave me.  Right now I'm trying the Too Faced eye primer and I think I like the lighter consistency of that one a little bit better.
Mascaras and Brow ... Lots of Mascaras
  • Sisley So Intense Mascara - This mascara does take practice to use since it's comblike wand is a bit different than most and it's a wet formula.  But once I got the hang of it the results were lovely - thick and lush.  And as a bonus, I did feel that my lashes were healthier with this product.  It's very expensive so I try to get this at duty free shops - especially when they offer value sets.  Right now I'm using the Chantecaille mascara which also boasts similar claims of healthier, longer lashes and I'm torn.  Both are great but the Chantecaille is easier to apply.
  • Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash Mascara - This was an old favorite and I like the nice volume it gives, but I can't tell if this was a bad tube because it dried out super quickly which was annoying.
  • Cover Girl Full Lash Bloom - I got this because people on youtube were raving about it, but it didn't really do much for me.  Perhaps it was too natural?  This also dried out super quickly.  
  • Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara - I got this sample and was super excited to try this.  The first few times I got gorgeous volume, and there was something "velvety" about the look.  But the next few times, the formula seemed to clump very easily.  I would consider buying a full size because when it worked, it looked great; but I may just have to learn to work with it so it.
  • Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara - I tried this sample and loved it!  I must go out and get this ... but I have about 10 mascaras in my stock pile that I haven't even opened yet so I must resist this urge.  But I definitely will be getting this in the future - Loads of thick volume, curl hold and definition.  
  • Lancome Cils Booster XL Mascara Base - I never really used mascara primers before this year.  I had purchased the Estee Lauder one based on reviews but I'm not loving it ... it doesn't seem to do much.  Then I got this sample from Lancome and I definitely see a difference with this.  I will have to buy this one (or the Christian Dior one) at the next Sephora VIB sale.
  • Majolica Majorca Lash King - I picked this up while I was in Tokyo and to be fair, since I can't read Japanese, I wasn't sure what I was really buying.  I did like the wand since I believe it's designed more for small Asian eyes, but the formula was so wet that it made my lashes droop a little.  I would literally curl my lashes, put this one and visibly see the droop happening!  
  • MAC False Lashes - What a cute little sample!  The formula seemed dry but did give lift and definition.  I liked it but not sure I would buy a full size.
  • ByTerry Mascara TerriblyGrowth Booster - I think this sample came from my SpaceNK beauty bag.  The first time I tried it, it seemed very natural and flustery - which was nice but I prefer more volume.  The second time, I tried it with a mascara primer and it definitely looked better and fuller.  But for the price, I'd rather use the Chantecaille which doesn't need the primer boost.  I also couldn't tell if my lashes had a growth boost based on the samples, but I do believe the Chantecaille is encouraging lash growth (or is that in my  head??).
Other Eye/Brow Products
  • Anastasia Brow Wiz - Not sure what happened to my empty but I know there was one.  Love this brow pencil - easy to use, longlasting and natural looking.
  • Anastasia Brow Gel - This was a good brow gel, but nothing special to warrant it's almost $30 price tag.  I'm using the Lord&Berry one now and I think I like it better.
  • Dollywink Eyeliner - Very easy to use black eyeliner.  If I were in Japan and could buy this for under $10, I would definitely repurchase.  But I think in the US, it's over $20 and for that price, I'd prefer my KatVonD Tattoo Liner which I think lasts longer.
Body/Perfume Products
  • Narciso Rodriguez for her - This was a very clean, crisp scent and I liked it for Spring/Summer.  My skin tends to eat up and neutralize perfumes so it's hard for me to find something that lasts.  This one did well ... not because I could smell it, but I often got compliments from strangers so I guess they could smell it. 
  • Josie Maran Argan Infinity Intensive Creamy Oil - I didn't really like this at all.  I'm not very dry so maybe that is why but this was so greasy.  I tried it as a hand cream, body treatment after shower, in my hair, etc.  I suppose it moisturized but with a greasy layer.  I have not had much luck with the Josie Maran line but I'm probably not their target consumer.
  • c. Booth Egyptian Argan Oil Body Butter - I really like this brand of body butters, but my favorite is the olive oil one.  The fragrances are light and not cloying; and the butter absorbs quickly into the skin and deeply moisturizes.  I would totally repurchase.  (Tip - I actually get mine at Nordstrom Rack - they often have them on sale.)
Hair
  • Living Proof Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 Treatment - I am very lazy about doing my hair.  It's coarse and straight with a weird little kink to one side.  I find if I put this product through my damp hair after showering, it somehow makes my hair more pliable and the result a little bit nicer.  It's not a huge difference but enough so I notice.  I think this is my 3rd bottle.
  • TreSemme Perfectly (un)Done Sea Salt Spray - I'm always yearning for the beachy wave look which is incredibly difficult for my hair to achieve; but this affordable spray does help a little.  I spray it on damp hair, twist my hair into sections and blow-dry a little bit.  Then I let it air dry a little and touch up with a curling iron.   I'm trying the mousse version now, but I think I prefer the spray.

OK - that is it!  I can finally dump my pig bag of products in the recycling bin!  I might do this again depending if I remember to store my products.  And thanks for walking down my memory lane of products with me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment