Sunday, March 27, 2016

how i keep my t-zone matte (skincare, primers, powders, etc.)

Like most women I know who have either combo-oily or oily skin, I struggled with keeping my T-zone matte while maintaining glowing, luminous cheeks.  After years of experimenting with matte foundations (that tended to look 'flat') and highlighters OR dewy foundations with matte powders and primers, I think I've finally found a combination that works for me, which mainly consists of skincare, primers, powder and blotting papers.


First off, let's start with my skin-type.  Growing up, my skin was combination-oily, sensitive and acne-prone.  However in recent years, my skin has changed to be more combination-normal and I rarely break out.  My T-zone may tend to glisten throughout the day (and it gets worse during my time of the month), but otherwise, I've noticed a definite change which I believe is a result of (i) age (which is out of anyone's control) and (ii) skincare.  

My skincare routine has definitely gotten more sophisticated and I believe in consistent layering of products and masking multiple times throughout the week.  I'm sure all of that has contributed to improving my skin, but the skincare item that has made the most difference with balancing out my skin and reducing oils on my nose is the SKII Clear Treatment Lotion.  Now, you can't expect miracles.  With skincare it takes time and consistency to achieve longterm results, but be patient and this will work (especially when used in conjunction with the SKII Facial Treatment Essence).


For short-term but faster results, the correct primer can do wonders.  My current favorite is the ArmaniPrima day-long skin perfector which helps to keep skin matte and diminishes the look of pores.  It actually is a skincare item so allegedly, with prolonged use, it's supposed to improve your skin.  At least that's what the marketing touts to justify the hefty pricetag ($100).  I can't attest to the skincare benefits yet, but I do know that upon first use, I did notice that it kept my T-zone matte for the day and my pores did appear smaller.  Furthermore, it didn't make my T-zone flaky and dry or clog my pores and cause breakouts.  The texture is light so it absorbs quickly and sits well under foundation.  I will pump one mini dollop on the back of my hand and either use a flat brush or my fingers to pat the product on my nose and my forehead (or wherever else I think will get "oily").


A cheaper and similar alternative is a Japanese drugstore primer called kiss- Mat Chiffon UV Base Moist SPF26PA++.  This one is also light in texture and it mattifies well (but not as well as the Armani in terms of longevity).  But unfortunately I've only been able to find this in Japan.  I actually discovered this while watching Melodee Morita's youtube videos when I was researching what to buy in Japanese drugstores.

I've tried a bunch of other primers but some were either too drying for me (i.e., Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector) or didn't really seem to mattify throughout the day (i.e., Hourglass Mineral Veil, Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield, Cover/FX Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment).  In fact I think the Murad one made me feel greasier at the end of the day and both the Murad and the Hourglass primers caused me to break out a little.

After completing my makeup base, a light dusting of loose powder on my T-zone also helps to keep me matte longer.  Don't go crazy - a little bit will go a long way.  My favorite powder right now is the La Mer powder, which does seem to outperform any of the other powders I've previously used including Laura Mercier, Nars, and ItCosmetics.

And finally, if I need to touch up later in the day, I'll just use my favorite blotting papers - the Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets.  It is very effective and does not leave any powder or other residue on your skin.  Before my current routine of using the ArmaniPrima primer and the LaMer powder, I felt compelled to blot at least 2 or 3 times a day.  But now, I barely even blot once in the later afternoon, if that.

How do you keep your T-zone matte?  I'd love to hear your suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment