Sunday, April 3, 2016

sephora vib rouge sale (and ulta sale too) - tips and recommendations (april 2016)

Every year I look forward to the two VIB sales at Sephora (one is usually in early April (15% off) and the other one is in November (20% off)) to stock up on makeup, skincare and gifts.  Beauty products rarely go on sale so these events are a great way to save money (if you can control yourself)!  



I am a little embarrassed to admit that I'm a VIB Rouge member which means I get slightly early access to the sale.  Last Friday, I got my notice in the mail that the early access sale is scheduled for April 7-13, which means the sale should open up for other VIB members on the 14th.  Sephora used to do cool in-store events for VIB Rouge members and serve coffee and treats and give extra goodies, but they seemed to have stopped doing that last year (boo).  Regardless, I still got excited when I got my notice in the mail and started "planning".  (Ulta sent out their 20% off sale early last week so I was sort of expecting the Sephora sale to start soon since they are usually about a week or so apart.)

Typically I break down my lists as follows:  

First, I check for (i) Must-Haves (e.g., stocking up on things I always use) and (ii) Want to try by categories - Face (including foundation, primer, blush, contour, etc), Skincare, Eyes and Brows, Lips, Body, Nails, Hair and Tools.  

Then I think of upcoming birthdays and determine if a beauty gift would be appropriate.

Then I split the lists out between Ulta (drugstore brands (e.g., Loreal, Maybelline), nail products, hair styling tools, and brands that Sephora does not carry (e.g., ItCosmetics, Mally, Laura Geller) and Sephora.

Since I've been buying beauty items with avid passion in the last few years and have many things stockpiled, I really didn't have much in the "need" category.  After all, I only have one face.  However, I still managed to come up with solid list for both sales.
For Ulta, I was surprisingly moderate - focusing really only on stocking up necessities:
  • Almay Oil Free Eraser Sticks - Perfect little q-tips to remove mascara marks on the eyelid during application..
  • Ulta Enriched Nail Polish Remover - Very affordable and effective remover that doesn't dry out my nails terribly.
  • Seche Vite - top coat - Yes, it does get gloopy after a little while just as the thousands of reviews claim, but it also helps your manicure dry super fast and glossy.
  • L'oreal Telescopic Carbon Black Mascara - I just discovered this recently and the wand reminds me of my Sisley Mascara at a much lower cost.  Gives great length, lift and definition.
  • Maybelline Volume Express Falsies Waterproof - I still have lots of mascaras in my stash, but nothing waterproof for the summer so I got an old favorite.
  • Body Shop tea tree oil - I use this for blemishes, rashes, in a water spray bottle when I travel, etc.  I always have one on backup.
  • Neutrogena Body Oil Light - I haven't used this one in years but I was in the market for a body oil for when I get out of the shower.
  • Neutrogena Pear and Green Tea Body Wash - This was one of two whimsy purchases on this list.  (See, I said I was being really moderate.)  This sounded pleasant so let's hope it doesn't disappoint!
  • Eucerin SPF15 Body Lotion - I use this for my daily lotion to get a little bit of SPF on my body.
  • Too Faced La Matte Color lipstick in nude - This was the second of my whimsy purchases.  I've only tried one Too Faced lipstick before and while the formula was good, I didn't like the color.  This matte version is new to Ulta so I'm giving it a go.
At Ulta I usually stock up on my Clean and Clear blotting papers and my ItCosmetics CC cream, but I had extras in my inventory so didn't need to this time.

The Sephora sale hasn't started yet, but so far my list looks like this (but I suppose it can still change):

Face:
  • Burberry Fresh Glow #1 - I tried a few samples of this and love it!  I just put a few dabs on my cheeks and forehead underneath my foundation for a nice healthy glow.
  • Burberry Powder Foundation - I got a sample of the Cashmere foundation and love it, but I still have an Hourglass and a ByTerry foundation that I haven't even opened yet, so I can't justify another liquid foundation.  I have heard nice things about the powder foundation which would be easier for travel, but I'm unsure about the color match so I'm still debating this item...
  • Smashbox contour kit - I am thinking of getting a contour stick to make my nose slimmer ... Smashbox got good reviews, but then there's Nudestix or Clinique ... decisions, decisions...
Skincare:
  • SKII Facial Essence Treatment - I'm almost out so I need to replenish my holy grail treatment.
  • SKII Mid Day-Spray - I want a refreshing spray to freshen up my skin/makeup during the day and this seemed nice when I tried it at Nordstroms.  
  • Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair - My current bottle is almost done so I need to replenish.  I think I'm on my 5th bottle...
  • Sunday Riley Good Genes - I'm on the fence on this; I am almost finished with my current bottle but I might try something else... I like this but I'm not blown away.
Eyes:
  • Anastasia Brow Wiz - Stocking up on my brow staple.  L'Oreal has a really good dupe (it's a tad softer in formula and doesn't last as long, but is half the price).
  • Mascara Primer - I just purchased the Lancome one, but I'm still tempted to try the Dior primer.  I did not like the Estee Lauder one which was surprising. 
  • Marc Jacobs Eyeliner - I had a tiny sample of the black eyeliner and really liked it for tightlining my upper lashes so I will get the full sized black one.  Maybe I'll try the brown one too... 
  • Undereye concealer - I would like a thinner undereye concealer because my Cle de Peau concealer seems a little heavy.  Perhaps I'll try the Urban Decay one.  Then again, I really don't have dark circles so I don't even know what I'm covering up.

Lips:
  • Lipliner - I need a new nude-y lipliner since they seem to be discontinuing my favorite Too Faced lipliner in perfect spice.  I think I'll try the Makeup Forever one or the Marc Jacobs...
  • Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie lipgloss - they have the most comfortable feeling gloss; I will get something nude-y (like Tantalizing Honey).  It reminds me of the Giorgio Armani lipgloss, but cheaper.

Body:
  • L'Occitane soap in Verbana - My husband's favorite so I usually will stock up on a few bars.  He has no idea how much they cost.  I think he believes they are like $3.  Ignorance is indeed bliss.

Nail Polish:
  • YSL Nailpolish - I just tried the beige one and love the formula so I might try a brighter color.

Hair:
  • Living Proof 5-in-1 Treatment - In my mind I think this helps my hair behave.  It might not be true, but that's what I believe.  This will be my 4th bottle.




Other things I'm thinking of - a new perfume, but I currently have 6 on rotation so maybe not...

Are you planning on going to the Sephora sale?  What's on your list?





No comments:

Post a Comment