Tuesday, April 26, 2016

luxury beauty products totally worth the hype

The worst thing about paying an arm and a leg for a product is if you are not blown away, and you start making excuses to yourself about why the product is worth the hefty price tag.  Unfortunately this happens more often than not.  It's uncommon for the product to actually be bad, but if a lipstick costs 3 times more than other lipsticks you do want it to be magical, no?

However, on a rare occasion, I've taken the plunge (after watching all the hype on youtube or reading reviews online) and found myself absolutely amazed.  Like - where have you been all my life - amazed.  Call it luck or maybe it's simply too much shopping, but this year isn't over yet and I already have THREE AMAZING PRODUCTS WORTH THE HYPE!!!


Tom Ford Eye Defining Pen (in Deeper) - (approx. $56) - I resisted getting this eyeliner because it's ridiculously expensive.  I was perfectly happy with my Kat Von D Tattoo Liner which is half the price.  But the moment the Tom Ford saleswoman placed the pen on my eye and started drawing in a cateye, I was hooked.  Super black, easy to control, and lasts all day.  I've been using it every day since I purchased it and at this point, I can't imagine my makeup life without it.

La Mer - The Powder - (approx. $65) - I've tried several loose powders (Laura Mercier, Nars, ItCosmetics, etc.) and they were all generally ok.  Laura Mercier was good for setting makeup but beyond that, I didn't see what the buzz was all about.  I actually preferred using my Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush powder which gives a gorgeous finish.  Then I started seeing random reviews pop up about the La Mer powder which seemed outlandishly good.  So with some birthday cash, I decided to try it.  And I'm not sure what kind of unicorn tears are in this, but this powder is beautiful.  In terms of setting, it works and leaves your makeup looking lovely and soft.  But the magic is in how long it keeps your makeup looking lovely, soft, and not greasy all day.  It's pretty amazing.  The only time I can see a sheen on my nose when I use this is during that time of the month when nothing (not even unicorn tears) can keep my hormonal skin at bay.

Chantecaille Faux Cils Longest Lash Mascara (Black) - (approx $72) - Is any mascara really worth over $70???  I'd like to say no, but I finished my first tube and found myself missing it so much that I had to buy another one to put into my stash.  Not only does it make my lashes look full and beautiful, but it really does seem to make my lashes 'grow' or, at least, look healthier and more lush.  I'm on the hunt for something equally good and less expensive... so far the only combination that gets close is the Lancome primer plus Lancome Hypnose Drama mascara.

Runner up:  ArmaniPrima Day-Long Skin Perfector - (approx. $100) - I've been loving this for my T-zone to blur my pores and reduce any shine throughout the day, but I haven't used it long enough to say if it's worth the pricetag - especially since I can get almost the same effect with the La Mer Powder.

Not really worth the hefty price tag:
Don't get me wrong - I love Tom Ford makeup - but several things I've tried were nice, but definitely not worth the high prices.   I have 2 Tom Ford lipsticks (Pink Dusk, So Vain) and they are nice, but I prefer my Charlotte Tilbury, Bite and Urban Decay lipsticks.  I recently purchased a Tom Ford cream cheek product - and again, it was nice, but not worth more than double the price of most other products.  I do like their eyeshadow quads, but again, there are other comparable products that are cheaper.

What luxury products have you tried that are totally worth it???  I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment