Monday, October 26, 2015

best things i did/ate last week (jewelry shopping, the martian, petty cash, etc.)

(Week of October 19, 2015).

In the beginning of the week, I was attempting to go through a "detox" which basically means lots of green smoothies and no alcohol until Friday.  Let's just say I was not a happy camper earlier this week, but some things that made it better:
 
best pork chop ever.

  • My mom's Taiwanese pork chop and rice!  Yes, I know this goes in the best thing I ate category, but my mom's pork chop is so awesome, it is really like an event.
  • Jewelry shopping!  Along with my makeup/skincare obsession, I also love buying jewelry.  And the easiest tip I have for buying fine jewelry is NEVER EVER PAY RETAIL - unless you have lots of money and insist on certain brand names, such as Cartier or Tiffany & Co, etc.  Otherwise, find yourself a jeweler you trust and pay wholesale prices.  This week I paid my favorite downtown LA jeweler a visit and it perked me up during my green smoothie haze.
  • Meeting family for dinner at Noshi.  My husband and I had dinner with his cousin and her husband at Noshi - my husband's favorite 'cheap' sushi restaurant.  There's always a line but service is quick and efficient, and they give large portions for a reasonable price.  It isn't the best sushi in town, but it's one of the best deals.
    spicy tuna on crispy rice and scallop ceviche.
Finally on Saturday, my husband took me out to date night so the best thing I did and ate this last week (after detoxing) was to watch the Martian (with Matt Damon), which was surprisingly good, and to eat lots of nachos, guacamole, tacos and quesadillas at Petty Cash Taqueria.  I had been to Petty Cash many many times and my favorite things on the menu are the Cauliflower Nachos (addictive), the quesadillas (I prefer the vegetarian even though I'm not vegetarian), and the guacamole.  My husband loves their octopus tacos.
 
Really tasty guacamole.
 
Cauliflower nachos - the best!
 
"Gringa" style quesadilla with pork.
For me, I still prefer old school tacos, like the ones at Mariscos 4 Vientos.  (review here)

I should resume my "detox" again this coming week.  But then I feel like I'm just waiting impatiently for my Friday drink - which sounds terrible, doesn't it?  I think Amy Schumer and I could be friends - or at least, drinking buddies...

No comments:

Post a Comment