Friday, October 9, 2015

the story of my quest to buy art from kinji nakamura-san in kyoto



On a misty afternoon nine years ago, I was on a tour of the Bamboo Forest in Kyoto with my mom when I noticed an old man selling the most lovely postcards of Japanese landscapes.  We veered away from our tour to peruse the postcards.  The old man was very friendly but spoke no English, yet somehow he was able to communicate to us that he was actually the artist and showed us a small original painting and the small calligraphy brush he used to create his work.  I was immediately enamored of his artwork.  Each seemed painstakingly created with the smallest, most gentle brushes of color.  I was also drawn by the joyful spirit of the man who created them.  He seemed sincerely thrilled that we liked his postcards.  He told us his name was Kinji Nakamura.

A picture of our first meeting.

A year or so after my visit, I was going through my stationery drawer and found the lovely postcards I had purchased.  I recalled how lovely his art was and got it into my head that I would try to buy an original piece.  I did an online search and was able to get what I thought was his mailing address.  Determined, I wrote a letter - uncertain whether I had the correct person or not.  After a few months of silence, I sort of gave up.  But then, out of the blue, I received a response!  It was a short letter in broken English (but very sweet) and a gift of more postcards.  I wrote him back but then heard nothing back. 

About 4 or 5 years ago, some friends of mine were visiting Kyoto and I asked them to keep an eye out for Kinji-san in the Bamboo Forest.  My friends thought I was crazy - how in the world were they going to find one man in an entire forest?  But funny enough, the moment they arrived at the forest, there he was - selling his postcards.  They tried to explain to him that I was looking for him so I could purchase some original art, but unfortunately, something got lost in the translation.  

Around this time, I believed I had located his email address and phone number.  He would respond to my emails sporadically but I was unable to get him to discuss buying his work from abroad.  I also asked relatives who spoke Japanese to try to contact him but oddly enough he never replied to them.  I was a tad discouraged and, to be honest, concerned that I wasn't even communicating with the correct person.

Then finally this year (in 2015) when we were headed to Tokyo and Kyoto, I emailed him to let him know I would be in Kyoto again.  He was lovely and gracious and we somehow agreed on a meeting date.  I knew I would have a private tour guide on one of the days we were in Kyoto so I arranged to have my guide call him on the day of the meeting to confirm details.  I had also asked him generally how much his original pieces were so I would be prepared with sufficient cash since I assumed he wouldn't take credit cards.  (At the current exchange rates, his works ranged from about $500-$2000.)

On the days leading up to our trip, I found myself filled with excitement and a bit of anxiety.  It had been such a "quest" to find him and it seemed my goal of getting some original pieces was near at hand.  But now I was worried my memory of his artwork was being enhanced by nostalgia.  What if I get there and didn't like what I saw?  After the efforts expended to find him, what if the reunion were a disappointment?

On the day of our meeting, my guide confirmed that Kinji-san would meet us in Arayashima in front of a temple and then walk us to his apartment.  We arrived at the meeting spot early so our guide told us to go shopping while he waited.  As we returned to our guide, I could see Kinji-san coming up behind our guide - and he looked exactly the same as he did nine years ago!  And he was just as open and joyful as I remembered.  Upon seeing his infectious smile, I knew I would not be disappointed.
Kinji-san taking us to his apartment.

His apartment was very close by so we took a short walk.  (For a 72-year old man, he is surprisingly spry and energetic.)  It was an honor to be invited into his home.  



Upon entering, the sweet man presented us with lovely gifts - a book of all of his postcards and a small original painting that he framed for us (above).  He had also set up his current paintings throughout his apartment so we could view them.

My husband and I ended up picking the two paintings (below).  The first painting is of a moonlit sakura tree that was located in Arayashima.  The second painting is a scene from the Pyrenees when Kinji-san was in Spain.  We love them both!


 
A close-up.





Kinji-san insisted on delivering the paintings to our hotel the next day.  We ended up enjoying an afternoon with him having coffee and tea in the hotel lounge.  There we learned (through broken English and itranslate) that he had a legal career in Japan until his 40's, when he decided to give it all up to pursue art.  For someone in Japan to break from traditional and cultural expectations is quite a feat and demonstrates his amazing independent spirit.  It also showcases his love and passion for his art.  What was even more amazing and inspiring was that he was diagnosed with stomach cancer in his 60's, and after 3 or more operations and treatments, he seems as healthy as ever.  He seems to attribute his recovery to his love for art.  (If I get some facts wrong here, I apologize but I was trying to glean what I could from itranslate.) 


Some of my friends and family thought I was a bit weird for trying to find this man after so many years just to buy some art but it was all worth it to me.  Not only do I love the beautiful paintings we brought home, but I also feel honored to have met and spent some time with this inspiring person.

If you are ever in the Bamboo Forest and see Kinji-san, stop by and say hello! 

For more information on Kinji Nakamura-san:

https://nihongonews.wordpress.com/art-and-entertainment/kinji-nakamura/



2 comments:

  1. He's great. I saw him last week there again, after 14 years. He was overjoyed that I returned. Love that you bought originals. He is so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also obsessed! I had bought his postcard prints back in 2012 - I would love to get an original

    ReplyDelete