Saturday, October 10, 2015

spa review: larchmont sanctuary spa - best massage!

I literally just had the best massage of my life here and that's saying a lot.  Ever since I was a kid, I carried the majority of my stress and tension in my upper shoulders.  After years as a student, being hunched over books and computers studying and carrying insanely heavy backpacks, and then as an attorney, again being hunched over computers all day - my shoulders were as hard as rocks.  I've had masseuses in the past gasp in shock as they tried to work the knots out of my shoulders and upper back and failed miserably.

It's been a while since I've had a massage since many of them are disappointing.  My most recent massage was probably 4 months ago at Wi Spa in Koreatown, which was pretty good.  But I had read that the Larchmont Sanctuary Spa had changed ownership last year and they were offering lots of specials, etc.  Intrigued and taking a leap of faith, I joined their membership program.  I picked the lowest level which is $90 per month (with a minimum six month commitment) and that gets you 1 massage OR facial and 1 copper tub bath OR a foot treatment.  In addition you get 10% off of other services and other special offers.  Considering the cost of one massage is about $130 anyways, this seemed like a great deal.


On the day of my first treatment, I was a little concerned. What if it sucked?  I did have a previous bad experience at the spa (under old ownership) when a male masseuse seemed to focus a little too much on my collarbone/cleavage area and then asked me to play tennis with him... weird.  But my concerns melted away when I entered the cute little cottage on Larchmont Boulevard.  

It was very quite and tranquil - which is appropriate since they do use the term 'sanctuary' in their name.  The front desk clerk showed me around - there's a lovely and comfy lounge area with magazines, flavored waters (i.e., cantaloupe and hibiscus), teas, fruits and nuts.  There are separate changing areas for men and women, complete with lockers, showers, restrooms, robes and toiletries. I'm not sure how many treatment rooms they have but I can't imagine there are that many since the house seemed rather small.  There is also an outside area with a cabana for an outdoor "couples" massage and other treatments.  I was informed there is a sauna, but I didn't get a chance to see it.  And as a bonus, there are some parking spots in the front which is rare for this area.



Once I changed into my soft robe, I had a cup of tea and read a magazine while my bath was being prepared.  When ready, I was led to a dimly lit and zen-like room where there was a massive copper tub filled with hot, bubbly water.  The bath was 20 minutes and was incredibly relaxing and detoxifying.



Afterwards, I returned to the lounge area and was met by my masseuse (Vivian).  She seemed young and petite but don't let her appearance fool you - she has a lot of strength and skill in her small hands.  She skillfully worked on my shoulders - kneading out knots and stretching me out properly.  I felt amazing!  While she was not able to "cure" me of my tension completely - which would indeed be a miracle - she did give me the most skillful and best massage I've ever experienced in my life!  To put this into context, I've had massages in LA at Burke Williams, Four Seasons, Wi Spa, and Bliss etc., in NY at Bliss, in Las Vegas at Caesars Palace, Canyon Ranch, in Singapore, in Thailand, in Taiwan, etc. etc. That's quite a lot of massages to compare to.

I am very delighted to have found a spa close to my house, that offers such great service at a reasonable price.  Can't wait for another massage next month!

331 N. Larchmont Blvd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment