Thursday, October 15, 2015

sake house in koreatown

Sake House in the Chapman Plaza in Koreatown has a great happy hour if you enjoy eating a variety of Korean and Japanese drinking foods, such as sushi rolls, chicken wings, karaage (fried chicken nuggets), etc. with your sake or beer.  The menu is so heavy and voluminous that my friend could barely lift it with her skinny arms.

But what really keeps me coming back is the ramen/rice cake/fish cake mixture in spicy red sauce (below).   Yum!  I literally will crave this stuff.  Weird, huh?  But it has an awesome spicy kick and is incredibly comforting.


My girlfriends and I recently came and ate the following... 
Pork Belly Salad - I like the pork belly; I can do without the random salad.

Mmmm fried chicken wings - comes piping hot with a sweet tangy sauce.

Karaage - fried chicken nuggets.

Yellowtail with jalapenos.

Some rolls - i think it was a gangsta roll and a shrimp tempura roll - these were just ok.

Love me some spam and eggs!  Too bad they didn't have spam fried rice...
And of course I had to have my favorite...

Yes, we ate it all along with 2 bottles of sake.  No one can ever accuse us of being dainty eaters.  For all of that plus tax and tip, it was about $160 (so $40 each).  That seems like a lot for happy hour, but look at how much we ate (and not all of our food items were on the happy hour menu).  It was really more like dinner.  Generally I enjoy their cooked and fried foods better than the sushi, which doesn't seem to be super fresh.  But what can you expect from cheap sushi?


There is some street parking nearby and 2 valet lots - but they get super crowded.  Uber-ing might be best especially if you will be drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment