Monday, October 19, 2015

best things i did/ate last week (week of october 12, 2015)(backhouse, petit trois, sake house, etc.)

(Week of October 12, 2015).
 
Karaage (fried chicken nuggets) at Backhouse.

I didn't have much planned for this week but it still turned out to be a pretty fun, food-filled week. Some highlights...

  • I was invited to a mini concert at Sonos Studio on La Brea for JR JR (formerly the Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.) so I took a music loving friend of mine.  (This was a perk for donating to KCRW - support your local radio station!!!)  It was fun to see Jason Bentley interview the band and enjoy some indie rock.   Hey it was free - who doesn't love free?  Afterwards we had a snack at Wirtshaus. The place always feels "sticky" to me and the only food I really like here is the schnitzel and brussel sprouts.  Everything else is a bit disappointing.  And the wine is always on the sweet side.  I really can't recommend this except for people who love beer.
  • Happy hour with some girlfriends at Sake House where we ate and drank too much!  Always fun to see friends!  (See review here.) 
  • Potluck for a 40th birthday party - fun in the sun with lots of food.  I made a baked fontina appetizer from the Barefoot Contessa cookbook - sooo tasty, but how can melty cheese be bad?
  • Random impromptu date night with my husband at Backhouse Restaurant Sushi Robata Bar.  This is located in the same complex as emc seafood (on the 3rd floor).  While I still prefer the food at emc seafood generally, this is a nice alternative when emc is too crowded or when you are craving yakitori.  I thought the yakitori and gyoza were very tasty, and the service was very friendly.  There were also lots of huge tvs in the bar area in case you are a sports lover.

  • Shishito peppers - these had a major kick!


    Gyoza - very authentic and tasty.

    Variety of Yakitori - ribeye, bacon wrapped asparagus, quail eggs, chicken & green onions.
  • Lunch with friends at Petit TroisAs usual everyone else I know likes this place better than me.  It's probably because I don't love French food with its signature and heavy-handed use of butter, cream and cheese.  I also feel this place is a bit overpriced, but service is top notch.  Favorites are probably the chicken leg confit, the french fries and the burger.  However, I still prefer Bel Campo and In-n-Out for burgers since I don't really enjoy fancy burgers.
Omelet with cheese and chives - nice but very cheesy.

Potato Cake - tasty but lots of butter.


So after all this, what was the favorite thing I ate this week (besides my addictive granola and my mom's fried chicken)?  
 
My mom's fried chicken.
I'd have to say it's a tie among the yakitori at Backhouse, the spicy ramen thing at Sake House and the New York steaks we grilled up on Sunday!  I finally learned how to bake potatoes properly.  

Grilled New York Steak with roasted brussel sprouts, baked potato and corn.


The spicy ramen and rice cake thing at Sake House (again).

No comments:

Post a Comment