Saturday, October 3, 2015

current favorite mascaras: maybelline falsies, lancome grandiose and sisley so intense (summer/fall 2015)


Like many women, I am constantly in search of the perfect mascara since I am not blessed with naturally full and voluminous lashes.  Typically I will have 3 or 4 mascaras in rotation until they are used up or expired.  (Yes, mascaras have expiration dates.  Once I open an mascara, I'll try to toss it or use it up in approximately 3 months.)  Sometimes there will be the dud mascara that I will try to use even if I don't like it in an attempt to not be wasteful.  However, right now, I'm loving every single mascara on rotation so I thought I'd share my thoughts on each of them.  
(in order of price - low to high)

Maybelline Volum' Express Falsies (in Blackest Black).  ($6.99)  I've repurchased this several times and it seems to improve the more you use it (i.e., when you let the tube dry out a little bit).  It consistently gives me great definition and lift and nice volume.  It does hold my curl quite well.  Very enjoyable and very cheap - especially since all the drugstores (RiteAid, CVS, Walgreens) and ulta will constantly have specials and coupons to help you save more (BOGO, buy one get one 1/2 off or free, etc.).


Lancome Grandiose Wide-Angle Fan Effect Mascara (in Noir Mirifique).  ($32)  Very weird looking wand which does take practice but gives very dramatic, bold lashes.  Great volume, definition and curl hold - the whole shebang!  I tend to use this more at night when I'm going out, but then again I have no problem with bold lashes for day.  This also works well on my bottom lashes and the bent wand actually makes it easier to apply to the corners of my eyes and my sparse lower lashes without smudging all over the place.



Sisley-Paris Mascara So Intense.  ($67)  I think this mascara only comes in one color - black.  The wand is a bit odd - sort of like a little comb with a flat side - and takes a bit of practice.  The formula is wet and works better after a few uses when it's dried a little. Once I got the hang of it, I really liked the results - full, voluminous lashes that feel 'soft', not crunchy.  The formula is filled with a serum that is supposed to condition and improve your lashes.  I'd like to think it's helping my lashes, but it could be self-delusional. And no, I didn't pay $67.  I only get this when there's a special offer at duty free stores when I travel.  On a recent visit to Paris, I got a double-pack for around $70USD, so $35 each.  Still expensive but less absurd.


For mascara, I look for something that gives me a lot of volume,  good definition, and good curl hold.  I like a bit of drama, but nothing crazy.  Unless I know I'll be in a pool, beach or walking around in the rain, I stay away from waterproof mascaras because they are difficult to remove and I avoid tugging around my eyes as much as possible.  

All of the above mascaras give me very good volume/drama and curl hold.  I put them in order of price point (low to absurdly high).

What are your favorite mascaras?  I'd love to try some of your recommendations!

Other favorites include: Guerlain MaxiLash Volumizing and Curling (great curl hold and definition, but difficult to remove), Clinique bottom lash mascara, Charlotte Tillbury Full Fat Lashes 5 Star Mascara (gives a lush, but still natural look)

Past unfavorites include: Maybelline The Rocket (did nothing for me), Giorgio Armani Black Ecstasy Mascara (nice look but kept flaking), Physicians Formula Eye Booster Kit (totally flaked everywhere and irritated my eyeballs), Urban Decay Canonball Mascara (very waterproof but didn't do much for me)

No comments:

Post a Comment